Saturday, January 12, 2008

The Birth of a Spinner

I've been wanting/resisting to try my hand at spinning. Armed with a gift certificate to The Yarn Stash, I got my roving then heading to the craft store for a dowel and wooden car wheel (I gotta make my own whorl of course). I got home, put my spindle together, making a sword for the boys out of the extra pieces and sat down at the computer to watch some online videos of how to do it. I'm usually one that picks things up (especially fiber related) fairly quickly, but I was lost. I tucked all my spinning supplies in a basket to await my weekend trip to my LYS where Amy showed me how to really do it. I am hooked. Now I don't know if I'll have time for knitting let alone time to finish my designs. I've been spinning all afternoon and so far have about 50 gms of wool. Pretty pathetic. Hubbie looked at me and said, "I don't know if you are aware, but you can buy wool already spun into yarn." He doesn't get it.

No comments: